Celebration

First thing that came to my mind was a big celebration in 2011. One of my cousins got married and I got to meet part of my family I never saw in my entire life. She's the daughter of my father's sister, and the marriage and party were held in my grandmother's brother house in Paine. His house is huge so we were like 100 to 150 people, all blood related (except for the husbands family of course) and I have never seen like 130?? of them before. 
I "re-met" an aunt I was told I met when I was 2 or 3 years old so I "wouldn't remember her" but the thing is, I remember being little,  my dad was telling me that I shouldn't cry because I would wake up/scare my aunt. Turns out that's one of my earliest and spot on memories. My dad confirmed it and though my aunt didn't believe me, we spent the rest of the day drinking coffee and she started introducing me family I didn't know, and made a tour around the house saying hi to everyone "Hello, meet Lorenzo's daughter..."
And one interesting conversation I overheard: one of my cousins is adopted (she was around 10 at the time) and she met a kid that was adopted too so they started talking about what it meant to be adopted, how special and wonderful they were because they got to be elected by a beautiful family, how they felt really lucky and thankful for the lives that they lived. Everyone that was passing by and heard a bit of this conversation were really impressed (just like me). I never thought I'd see that kind of conversation flow so naturally between two kids so we all learnt that family is more than just being blood related, it's about the people you choose to live with, spend your time with, people you care about deeply and you'd do anything for them to be happy.
There's something funny and insteresting about family because we all connected instantly and everyone was lovely. We enjoyed the beautiful ceremony and sang and danced like we knew each other since forever,  until we realized it was too late to catch a train to come back to Santiago.

Comentarios

  1. It´s funny when that happens, when you are in a family reunion and everyone or most of them know you but you don't know them, i can not imagine meeting that much relatives in one day, I would forget them the next day.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. some celebrations mark us positively !! :D

    ResponderEliminar
  3. What a special way to talk about an issue as important as adoption. What a joy that these children see it in such a positive way. <3

    ResponderEliminar
  4. It´s very amazing that kids could talk about that so openly. It sound that was a really beatiful celebration!

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

The sun is my enemy.

"Vacations" and rambling.